Utilization of mining waste rock for infrastructure construction in North Savo
Geological survey of Finland implements together with Savonia University of Applied Sciences the utilization of mining waste rock for infrastructure construction in North Savo – project in years 2013-2014. The other partners of the project are Yara Finland Oy, Palin Granit Oy, Savon Kuljetus Oy, Betonimestarit Oy and Finnish Transport Agency. The purpose of the project is to integrate waste rocks and stone-based extractive waste of the mines and quarries into a part of regional construction aggregates accounting, land-use planning and stone raw materials trading. The results and the operating models of the project can be applied in the future also in the other mining areas of the Finland and Europe. The project is partially funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
Objectives of the projectInventory and product development of waste rocks
- Inventory, classification and feasibility to infrastructural construction.
- Operating model to productize waste rocks as a part of mine planning.
- The possible utilization targets and utilization processes of the waste rocks.
- assessment of end use , taking into account the volume and quality specifications of inventory phase, the needs and demand of regional industry, and the regional construction and planning according to short and long- term plans.
- The logistical analysis for transport possibilities.
- The informing of the stakeholders and the public.
- The training package of the waste rock resources and their utilization possibilities.
- The WEB-portal for promoting the utilization of the waste rock resources.